The eco widebeam self-sufficient barge
Here at UFL, we decided to have a go at designing a live-aboard widebeam barge that would be as self-sufficient as possible. We wanted the boat to be self-sufficient in water consumption, sewage processing, and as efficient as possible in heat requirements and electricity consumption. We decided to consider each aspect of the design one bit at a time so we published our work as a blog.
The blog sight can be viewed here.
The topics we investigated include:-
- Project Objectives
- Specification and accommodation
- Live-aboard viability – internet, phone and TV?
- At the core of the heating – a multi-fuel stove
- So what could it look like
- Which battery technology
- Other heating systems
- Thoughts on where to live
- Hybrid drive or not?
- Ventilation and controversy
- Money matters
- Energy self-sufficiency
- Solid-state heat pumps and generators
- Energy efficient cooking